Table of Contents
- Record serial numbers
- Manage serial numbers of an item
- Generate serial numbers yourself
- Serial numbers with BBD / batch management
Serial numbers are used to uniquely identify items.
In Xentral, these can be entered in multiple operations and are primarily linked to items here. Serial number management must therefore be activated beforehand in Xentral for an item under Master data → Items → Details. In Xentral, there is no option to use your own serial number or the supplier's serial number.
Record serial numbers
Serial numbers can be recorded in the following operations:
- When storing delivered articles with serial numbers
- When numbering self-produced articles
- When installing parts with serial numbers in self-produced articles
- When selling / shipping items to assign serial numbers to customers
The following settings are available for serial numbers in the master data:
- None → Disable serial number management for this item.
- Generate own → Generate own serial numbers for this item. These can be created using a custom serial number generator. Serial numbers are linked to corresponding items. This means that, for example, when goods are moved, the serial number is also "moved". This is suitable for users who manufacture products themselves and want to assign them with their own serial numbers.
- Use originals → Uses the supplier's serial numbers. The serial number must be stored in the delivery bill for information purposes to the recipient. No serial number is recorded during storage. This is suitable, for example, for intermediaries who do not need to manage serial numbers.
- Store originals + use → Works similar to the option "create own", but is related to serial numbers of the supplier. I.e. when putting away and transferring the goods, the serial number must also be recorded. When the goods are booked out via the delivery bill, affected serial numbers must also be specified. This is suitable for all users who have to manage serial numbers of suppliers.
Note: If a simple warehouse booking is used without any further process and the serial number recording is deactivated (Project → Settings → Logistics/Shipping), the serial numbers are assigned automatically during auto shipping. These are not visible in the delivery bill, but in the article under the "Serial numbers" tab. The allocation is done according to the FIFO principle or according to time stamp.
Record serial numbers during storage
If the setting "store original + use" has been defined for an item under "serial numbers", the serial numbers of this item must be recorded during storage.
For items with this setting, the putaway process requires the corresponding number of serial numbers after specifying the quantity to be put away.
The serial numbers can be typed in, read with a barcode scanner, or punched in with the assistant.
In the goods receipt, remarks for the serial number can be specified, which then appear in 2 places:
- Master data → Item → Serial number → In stock
- Management → Serial number → Warehouse
Duplicate serial numbers warning
It is possible to activate the option for warning about duplicate serial numbers under Administration → Settings → Basic settings → Number ranges.
After that, a warning appears in the red info box at the top:
Record serial numbers during shipping
For each article for which any type of serial number management is activated, the query of the number takes place during article shipping under Warehouse → Shipping center. The serial number can be typed in here or captured with the barcode scanner.
Entering serial numbers subsequently for items of a delivery bill
Via Administration → Serial numbers → Customers, serial numbers can be entered or changed subsequently for articles from delivery bills via the Edit icon.
In the view that appears, the serial number can be entered or changed.
Record serial numbers of components in the production process (requires the Production Module)
For a production, you can define under Purchasing → Production → Details whether serial numbers are to be assigned for the produced items and whether the serial numbers for installed parts or assemblies are to be recorded during production. All entered serial numbers are then also automatically linked to the customer for which the production was created.
The serial number of the BOM item is pulled directly from the database. Serial numbers can then be created for all assemblies via "Generate serial number".
This prevents duplicate serial numbers from being assigned due to redundant entries in the previous free text field.
Manage serial numbers of an item
If the serial number management is activated for an item, it is possible to find out which serial numbers have been delivered to which customers or which serial numbers are located where in the warehouse via the "Customers" and "In stock" tabs in the view Master data → Items → Serial numbers.
Generate serial numbers yourself
For articles with the setting "Generate own" under "Serial numbers", in the tab "Generator" in Master data → Articles → Serial numbers own serial numbers can be generated for printing on stock. To do this, the following parameters must first be set:
- Start number → first serial number from which incrementing is performed.
- Number of consecutive no. → maximum number of serial numbers that may be generated (→ largest serial number = start number + number of consecutive no.)
- Last assigned no. → Serial number that was produced last
- Number of printouts per no. → Number of labels printed per serial number.
- Print labels → Print labels in the number set above per item.
- Printer → Label printer on which the printout is made.
- Store directly → Post items with the generated serial numbers directly to the specified storage bin.
It should be noted that the generator only saves the last generated serial number. All other settings must be made again each time the generator is used. To avoid the generation of duplicate serial numbers, it is advantageous to embed the current date in the serial number (e.g. "YYMMDD000001" or similar). As soon as "Create serial numbers now" is clicked, the serial numbers are generated in the predefined number and printed or posted to the warehouse if the appropriate settings have been made.
Serial numbers with BBD / batch management
In addition to the articles with serial numbers, a best-before date and / or a batch can also be displayed. The prerequisite for this is that the best-before date / batch query has also been activated for the items and the items have been posted to the warehouse with a best-before date / batch accordingly. In the Administration → Serial Numbers → Stock area, you can now also see the best-before date / batch for the stored items with serial number.
Furthermore, in the area of the article master Master data → Articles in the tab Serial number → in stock, the respective serial numbers stored for the article with the respective best before date / batch information are also visible:
The necessary setting is located in the article master data. BBD and / or batches is activated in addition to the serial number.